Tuesday, May 28, 2013

New Orleans

The Mister and I got away for a weekend. New Orleans! It took some friends getting married for my Beau to finally take me down there. Believe it or not, our Biscuit kept all 3 kids for us. Who am I kidding? She's a pro. She had 3 kids for 18 years. What's 3 kids for 3 days! I'll tell you, it's a whole stinking lot of work. Trust me. I know. I do it. Daily. She's a saint. But she got to give them back. So there's that.

The Mister and I arrived in the Big Easy before lunch. We couldn't check into our room at the Sheraton until 3 (but that's a whole other dramatic story), so we called our bud who was already there. We walked about 400 blocks to where we thought we were going to sit down and eat a sandwich. Turns out it was a market. My sandwich was just okay. I think their sandwiches were good. Too bad I don't like corned beef. I may or may not have ever tried it.

We ended up going to Jackson square and eating. How beautiful! We just sat on the grass with THIS as our view! 


And this was also my view.


Don't you just love the N'awlins architecture?


We then stopped at the Crowne Plaza for probably one of my most favorite parts of our trip.



Yes, the milk punch. I think the Mister might take me back often just get a taste of one of these. Yum-MO! We may or may not have gone and hung out there more than once just to have one or maybe more of these.

So you know how we were supposed to check in at 3. Well, it was more like 7. Yeah. SEVEN. Okay, a quarter 'til 7. Whatever. It was still time to eat and I was still wearing traveling clothes. So we got upstairs, changed clothes and headed out to supper at this fine establishment.


The shrimp poboy and jambalaya were pretty tasty! No milk punch. But everywhere we went had local beer. I'll take one!

Since we are all from the Memphis area, it was mandatory that we watch the Grizzlies play. We headed on over to the district to watch the game.


I don't think the Mister and I have taken a good picture together since before the tots were born.



Yeah, I couldn't decide which one I liked better. After the game we headed on back to the hotel. Yes. I feel old. I have 3 kids. I was getting sleep without someone waking me up. Best sleep in 2 years.

The next morning we got up and headed on to Jackson Square.

Of course we hit this place up.


The line was from here to kingdom come. But it moved fast. Like really fast. They don't want you hanging around fast.


I think I ate all of our beignets. I love them. So yummy. The Mister doesn't love them. That's okay. I ate his. No shame. I could have eaten 3 more, but I wanted to move on.

We went to the French Market. Where I bought some prints. Because that's what I do everywhere I go. I buy prints of the town I'm in. Some people collect magnets. That's probably cheaper and much more practical. I'm sure I'll eventually run out of wall. But whatever.

I also ran across this baby.


I bought it. I bought it because my boss made mention of me and one of my friends sitting around a fire throwing in voodoo dolls. Whatever that means. Hmmm. Now we have a real one. Beware! 

Hunger started setting in. As we were walking back to the Crown Plaza hotel we saw this eatery.  


I thought I had heard good things. So we went in to eat. It was fab. I mean, mine was just okay. the Mister's sandwich was probably the best I'd ever had. EVER. It was roast beef and gravy. TASTY! The atmosphere was pretty great too.


 

Yes, I'm fascinated with cool doors. Zip it.

I'll let you decide if you think we stopped in for a milk punch on our way to dress for the main events.

We rode a for real yellow school bus to the wedding that afternoon. I was determined to take as many pictures of us as I could....remember to take.


This is our little group of supper club girls plus one. (I don't the girl to my left. Your right. But that's okay. They did. And the more the merrier.)


See, here's another one.


But you can be honest. We would totally win the cutest couple award. Maybe not the friendliest couple or the gets along the best couple. But definitely the cutest couple.

The whole reason we went to NOLA was to celebrate the wedding of some friends, Jeff Green and Alexis Stephany (now Green). She was a beautiful bride! The wedding was beautiful and the reception was great. It all happened at Roxy's Jazz hall. Awesome venue!

That same yellow school bus took us back to the hotel.

Since we went in early the night before we decided to hit up the town...the night before we were driving home. Genius idea.

This crazy girl was on my team.


We went to the CATS meow.


I think most of those people are paid to sing karaoke. I only heard one guy that pretty much sucked.

Since I'm old...at about 1 am we snuck off back to our hotel room. I think I fell asleep within minutes of getting back.

Our plan was to leave by 9. Someone else had other plans for us. The hotel alarm system started going off at about 7. It told us to make our way to the nearest emergency exit and to go down the stairs. We were on the 37th floor. I told the Mister that he was going to have to walk down those stairs by himself. I'll just have to die on the 37th floor of the Sheraton in New Orlean. I could think of worse ways to die. Turns out, it was a false alarm. It got us on the road by 8.

I sure missed my babies, but it was nice little reprieve. When's the next one?

No comments:

Post a Comment