Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Our Annual Cookie Decorating Day

I am definitely beginning to question my sanity. I don't think my kids have been to bed before 9 pm in 2 weeks. They wake up being little snot heads the next day. I think that is the nice way to say it. I definitely could use a more descriptive word, but you get the picture.

And apparently I keep thinking it is a good idea to get them involved in things at 8 pm. Like decorating cookies.

They were SO excited about it; and I was all ready to get the cookies made and the icing ready so we could do this after forced napped time but before supper.  And then my Beau came in. Not only did he come in, but he came in with 2 huge sacks of greens and deer that needed to be put up. And guess when he started it. Yes...right at nap time, when I was planning on getting all of this stuff ready for the girls. And guess how long it took him to finish it all up. Yes, right up until supper time (actually longer, but this is the only time that mattered to me). On the bright side...not one thing on our plate for supper Sunday night was purchased in a grocery store. Sweet potatoes grown in our garden, greens grown in Pow Pow's garden, and a deer killed the night before by my Beau.

While we were eating supper I got the cookies cooked and afterwards I quickly made the icing. How do you tell a 2 year old and a 3 year old...Welp...change of plans. I know I've been talking this cookie thing up for 3 days, but SORRY...we aren't doing it tonight. That doesn't go over well in my house. And let's just say my tolerance for whining is minimal these days.

So decorate cookies we did!


O did a much better job this year than she did last year. What a difference a year makes!


B on the other hand...well, her cookies look much more like O's did last year.


They were some pretty tasty cookies even if I did make them, but next year I'm going to have to find a different recipe for sugar cookies that is easier to cut with cookie cutters. My recipe is entirely too sticky. Or maybe next year I should just use slice and bake. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! You are one fun mommy! Let me know when little man comes and I will keep the girls :)

    ReplyDelete