I had a friend suggest a Tuesday question that I thought was a fantastic question. So here we go!
I didn't have a wedding dress that was sentimental to me.
As a matter of fact, I would have gotten married in blue jeans if my mom and cousin hadn't insisted I wear a dress. Clothes just don't mean that much to me. Not like shoes. I do get sentimental about some stuff. For instance, I have a piece of furniture my grandmother is letting me borrow, or maybe she gave it to me. I don't remember. If something happens to it...I'll die.
Maybe I won't die, but I'll be pretty sad. Devastated even.
There are even a few of my kids' clothes that I'm sentimental about. Most of them...not so much.
For some reason I have kept 3 Rubbermaid tubs full of clothes...and a whole closet full at my dad's house...from high school and college. For me, I feel guilty throwing out perfectly good clothes...even if I can't wear them.
I'm not a hoarder. I really LIKE to throw stuff out. As a matter of fact I have a garage and attic full of stuff I'm ready to get rid of. I will be having a garage sale, consigning or goodwilling stuff very very soon. If you've seen something at my house that you want...name your price.
That being said, I do keep stuff even knowing I'll never use it again.
So my question to you is....
Do you keep things like wedding dresses that you know you'll never use again? If so, why? Sentimental value? Hope to wear them again? Do you feel guilty throwing stuff out?
I am NOT a hoarder...I love to get rid of stuff and give it to Goodwill. If I'm not using it, it makes me feel good to a) get rid of the clutter, and b) picture someone else being excited to find it at Goodwill and getting a super "deal" on it. I do have my wedding dresses, but only in case Ashley wants one or both of them...once that time passes, they'll be gone!
ReplyDeleteI had my wedding dress preserved to prevent it from turning yellow and packed in a garment box designed to help it keep its shape because 1) I loved my wedding dress and 2) I hope my daughter(s) will at least have a veil made out of it. I like the idea of starting a family heirloom. SAM
ReplyDeleteI would totally keep my dress for my daughters too (if I had one). But I'm with you Steph. Once they got married....goodwill or some other resale it us.
ReplyDeleteI hope I didn't offend anyone bc I wasn't specifically talking about wedding dresses...just stuff on general.
If I had a dress...not a daughter. Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteWell, y'all know my thoughts on this. I just think it is so interesting how people get tied so emotionally to STUFF. ( For full disclosure, my mother in law is a full on hoarder- don't tell Matt I told you that or I will have to hunt you down and beat you).
ReplyDeleteI am sentimental about lots of things- in fact, I am making a quilt out of Charlotte's old baby clothes. I am just terribly practical. I don't want to keep an old box of baby clothes that will just end up ruined and certainly won't be in style when C has babies.
It's just interesting to me how people can place such different values on things- I could live with getting rid of my wedding dress (although I haven't decided yet what to do with it for sure) but Matt has basketball cards from his childhood under our bed and he refuses to part with a single one. I can't fathom how he could be so attached to all 5,000 basketball cards. If it was me, I would keep a few of the most special or valuable ones and let the rest go.
Pray for me, because one day I will have to help clean out the hoarder house and deal with Matt and his two siblings who both have hoarder tendencies...
This has got me thinking...I am cleaning out my attic. I have stuff up there that is in a Rubbermaid box that I don't think I've looked at in 10 years. It just keeps getting moved every time we move.
ReplyDeleteI will have to say that with some of the girls' clothes that I'm keeping...it is because they were mine when I was little or I think they would like to pass down to their kids. Most of them are going to the consignment sale in the Fall or next Spring.
But I'm now motivated to clean out my trash so it can become another man's treasure!