I can remember walking in my grandmother's house when I was younger and smelling a big ol' poot...or a pot of greens cooking on the stove. I never tried them bc they smelled like, well, a big ol' poot. I just assumed I didn't like them. So for 28 years...no turnip, mustard, or collard greens for me.
OMG - I didn't know what I was missing out on! Not to mention Poppy (my grandmother) makes, hands down, the best pepper sauce I've ever tasted...and on greens - simply DE-VINE!
I figured out I like greens about 2 years ago when the hubs and I went to eat lunch at Patricks. I've become quite the "I'll try it, but I'm not going to promise I'll like it" gal. Turns out...I loved it!
So after our summer garden died off, the hubs planted these.
Yep, three rows of turnips and mustards. He cooked 2 pots last weekend. So my house smelled...you got it...like a big ol' poot. But they were SO stinking good. And we probably have about 4 more pots of greens out in the garden. Yippee!!!
But on to MY culinary adventure.
Apparently I'm really bad at remembering to take photos of my food. SO...I'm borrowing this photo off of pinterest, bc Lord knows mine didn't look like this.
This recipe can be found here. I totally forgot to add the cheese. It was good, but you know...everything is better with cheese. This recipe didn't call for any spices, but when I make this again I will be putting salt, pepper, and a little Tony's or some other spice in it to give it a little bit more Pop! It is absolutely a good thing that I forgot to take a photo because mine didn't look like this. I follow recipes exactly (if I don't get distracted by "Mommy, she has her foot on my chair., Mommy she touched me., Mommy, Mommy, Mommy") and mine is always as tasty as the picture looks, but doesn't ever look like the picture. Maybe I just need to learn how to take pictures of food.
I also made my Nana's dressing for supper club. I'm not sure how long this dressing has been passed down, but it is super fine. I get a little overwhelmed by the sage in a lot of dressings, and this one doesn't call for it. This recipe makes so much, that my big bowl wouldn't hold it all. So in an effort to find a big enough bowl...I failed. I ended up making it in this beverage bowl.
Those are the ingredients that I used. Imagine this...I didn't get a picture of my final product...and I had 2 chances.
The first thing you crumble up 11 slices of white bread and a pan of cornbread (4 cups of corn meal, 3 tablespoons of flour, 2 eggs, 1 quart of buttermilk)
I then sauteed 5 small onions and 2 cups of celery (diced) in 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 stick of butter. Once the onion and celery were soft, I added the remaining 5 cups of chicken broth and 1 can of cream of chicken soup.
I then poured the chicken broth on top of the crumbled up bread and stirred. Then I put in 6 eggs (beaten) and mixed thoroughly. I added chicken to my dressing. (Just buy an already prepared chicken from your local grocery store or the dreaded Wal-Mart)
I put my concoction in a baking dish and baked it until the center was hard...and BAM! I was done!
Mine was a little dry, buy hey...it was my first time ever to make chicken and dressing, and I thought I did a pretty stinking good job. If you're nice I'll make it for you one day.
If you have any fun Thanksgiving recipes I can try out Please share!
No comments:
Post a Comment