Monday, September 12, 2011

Reflections on the Past 10 Years

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was on my way home from my 8 o'clock class when I heard it on the radio.  Two planes had crashed into the World Trade Centers.  I got to my house (from here on out referred to as the dungeon), woke up my best friend/roomie, and we were glued to the TV the rest of the day.  No more classes were attended that day (sorry mom and dad). The news was absolutely more important.

Yesterday, as I watched the footage of that day 10 years ago, I vividly remember most of the photos and video footage shown.  I remember the fear and the anger and the sadness I felt for weeks on end.  I remember being terribly heartbroken for the moms, dads, kids, parents, friends who lost someone they loved dearly that day.  I remember thinking how brave the firefighters and police officers were for running into death while everyone else was running away from it and how proud their family must be.

I remember the sense of pride that welled up inside of me knowing that even though this was tragic, it brought a sense of unity to this country.  Even if for just a moment we were one. We were and are THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. 
  





We will never forget!




No comments:

Post a Comment